The directors are responsible for preparing the Strategic Report, Directors' Report and the financial statements in accordance with applicable law and regulations.
As a listed company within the European Union, the directors are required to prepare the Group Financial Statements in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards ("IFRSs") as adopted by the EU. The directors have elected to prepare the parent company financial statements in accordance with Companies Act 2006 and UK Accounting Standard FRS 101 "Reduced Disclosure Framework".
Under company law the directors must not approve the financial statements unless they are satisfied that they give a true and fair view of the state of affairs of the Group and the Company and of the profit or loss of the Group for that period. In preparing the financial statements, the directors are required to:
- select suitable accounting policies and then apply them consistently;
- make judgements and estimates that are reasonable and prudent;
- present information, including accounting policies, in a manner that provides relevant, reliable, comparable and understandable information;
- in respect of the Group financial statements, provide additional disclosures when compliance with the specific requirements of IFRS is insufficient to enable users to understand the impact of particular transactions, other events and conditions on the Group's financial position and performance; and
- state that the Group has complied with IFRS, subject to any material departures disclosed and explained in the financial statements.
- in respect of the parent company financial statements, state whether applicable UK accounting standards have been followed, subject to any material departures disclosed and explained in the financial statements; and
- prepare the financial statements on a going concern basis, unless they consider that to be inappropriate.
The directors confirm that the financial statements comply with the above requirements.
The directors are responsible for keeping adequate accounting records that are sufficient to show and explain the Company's transactions and disclose with reasonable accuracy at any time the financial position of the Company and the Group and enable them to ensure that the financial statements comply with the Companies Act 2006 and, as regards the Group financial statements, Article 4 of the IAS Regulation. They are also responsible for safeguarding the assets of the Group and hence for taking reasonable steps for the prevention and detection of fraud and other irregularities.
We confirm that to the best of our knowledge:
- the Group financial statements, which have been prepared in accordance with IFRSs as adopted by the EU, give a true and fair view of the assets, liabilities, financial position and results of the Group; and
- the Strategic Report contained in this annual report includes a fair review of the development and performance of the business and the position of the Company and the Group, together with a description of the principal risks and uncertainties that they face; and
- the annual report and accounts, taken as a whole, is fair, balanced and understandable and provides the information necessary for shareholders to assess the Company's performance, business model and strategy.
On behalf of the Board
Lord Wolfson of Aspley Guise
19 March 2015
Group Finance Director